ASPCA Rededicates Horse Water Trough in NYC's Central Park
American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
Straight from the horse's mouth!
Doug Blonsky, Central Park administrator, Henry J. Stern, Parks commissioner, Dr. Larry Hawk, ASPCA president and CEO, Dr. Stephen Zawistowski, ASPCA senior vice president, animal sciences and science advisor, and Valerie K. Angeli, ASPCA director of public information and special projects, rededicated a water fountain for horses at a ceremony on Monday, November 26 at the southeast corner of 60th Street across from Grand Army Plaza, adjacent to the Central Park Conservancy information kiosk.
It's not just horse sense that two- and four-legged attendees enjoyed the trough; offering much needed water to horses entering or leaving Central Park. Horses from the New York Horse Carriage Association and City of New York/Parks & Recreation Department's mounted unit drank from the water trough at the ceremony.
In July of 1912, Edith Bowdoin donated this trough to the ASPCA. It was used for the horses at Stuyvesant Square (East 15th Street near Second Avenue), where it stayed until being brought back to The ASPCA's old headquarters at 441 E. 92nd Street in 1955. For many years it stood in front of the building and was used as a planter. When the Society moved to its current location, it was stored in the basement, to serve its original purpose once again. Now cleaned and refurbished, it was rededicated by the City of New York and The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals to the City's horses, and those who love them.
This is the second water trough placed at or near Central Park for horses; the other is near the Sixth Avenue entrance off Central Park South.
For more information, or to contact American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, see their website at: www.aspca.org
|Email Article To A Friend||Link to us!|